You Are Here: Mopar Information : Muscle Cars : Classic Mopars : 1965 – 1967 Dodge Charger : 1966
The Dodge Charger was introduced on January 1, 1966. Built off of the Dodge Coronet chassis but using its own body, the Charger was Dodge’s first fastback, high speed street racer. It featured many styling cues from the Charger II concept car like a fastback roof design and full width taillamps.
The interior featured four bucket seats and a full-length floor console. The 1966 Dodge Charger came with a standard 5.2-liter, 318 cubic-inch V-8 engine delivering 230 horsepower. Other available engines included a 361 cubic-inch V-8 engine that created 265 horsepower, or a 6.2-liter, 383 cubic-inch V-8 engine delivering 325 horsepower. However, it was the availability of a massive 426 cubic-inch Street HEMI engine that provided 425 horsepower and 490 lb.-ft. of torque that forever defined the vehicle.
- Standard 318 V8 (2-bbl.). 230 hp. Single exhaust. Uses regular fuel.
- Optional 361 V8 (2-bbl.). 265 hp. Single exhaust. Uses regular fuel.
- Optional 383 V8 (4-bbl.). 325 hp. Dual exhausts. Requires premium fuel.
- Optional 426 V8 (dual 4-bbl.). 425 hp. Dual exhausts. Dual rocker arm shafts. Hemispherical combustion chambers. Requires premium fuel.
- 3-on-the-tree manual, standard on 318 V8 only. (N.A. with 361, 383 or 426 Hemi V8s.)
- 3-speed TorqueFlite automatic, optional at extra cost with all engines. Selector level is mounted on center console, and has lockout button for moving selector out of “Drive” position.
- 4-speed manual, with short throw shift pattern and positive reverse-lockout lever. All four forward speeds are synchronized. Shift lever is mounted on center console. Optional at extra cost with 361, 383 or 426 Hemi V8s. (N.A. with 318 V8 engine.)
- 1966 Dodge Charger Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price – $3122.00
- 1966 Dodge Charger Production – 37,344 (468 were powered by the 426 Hemi).
- 1966 Dodge Charger Weight – 3499 lbs
The Mopar related information found in this section is believed to be accurate. The 440magnum Network assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in anything that is referenced by or linked to and from this site. This information is provided "as is" and was obtained from Chrysler Corporation, WWW, Books and other Reference Materials.